FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

antorchaQ: What is an Antorcha?
A: An Antorcha is a colloquialism used by Spanish speakers to refer to the receipts and notices issued by USCIS. The term came into use because these receipts and notices have a picture of the Statute of Liberty’s arm holding up her “torch” imbedded in the background.

Q: Where can I check the status of my case?
A: Check to see if your case is in court by calling 1-800-898-7180.You will have to give your Alien Registration number which begins with the letter “A”. Once you confirm it is you, the operator will tell you when and where your next court date is and what judge will be hearing the case.

If you are NOT in court and want to check the status of a petition, visit www.uscis.gov and enter your receipt number on the top left where it says "CASE STATUS". Right under that block, you can also schedule an INFOPASS online. For general immigration information, you can also call 1-800-375-5283.

Q: I just got my green card and became a Legal Permanent Resident. Can I petition for my parents?
A. No. Only American Citizens over 21 may petition for their parents.

Q: I entered illegally and am now married to an American Citizen. How can I become legal?
A: If you have a petition that was approved before April 30, 2001, then you may be able to adjust status if you meet certain requirements. If you have been living in the U.S. for 10 years or more, you may qualify for Cancellation of Removal. For that to happen you have to be put in proceedings and you will have to prove to the court that your departure would cause severe and unusual hardship to a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident